Sunday, February 23, 2014

West Coast Trail, Part II: The Slog

Second installment of the West Coast Trail.  Or should I say the Wet Coast Trail….     Some Germans we met on Day 2 coming from the opposite direction had only this message as what to expect ahead:  “Life will be hard”.    And full of rain, and mud, and endless ladders.  Unfortunately, making life even harder was that 2 out of our 3 stoves malfunctioned on the first day, and the fuel types were not compatible.   But enough complaining for now.

When we last left the merry group they had just started on the 75 km trek from Bamfield to Port Renfrew.  As one savvy blog-reader pointed out, Rod decided to show his independence on Day 1 in the group photo being the only one to leave his gators off (“I don't need no stinkin' gators.  My shins aren't afraid of a little mud, the rest of you are clearly just a bunch of Lagerfeuer-1.Reihe-Sitzer”.  This is a first-class German girly-man insult if I do say so myself Mehmet!  It means people-who-sit-in-the-first-row-around-the-campfire – I am definitely among them.)   Rod decided that gators were a good choice after all from Day 2 onwards.  But I digress.

The first 10 km or so to the Pachena Point Lighthouse were fairly flat and uneventful and we managed a good pace.  Over lunch however the skies clouded over and the first rain drops started falling.  Raincoats and pack covers on!

Dev was battling two severe ear infections and the end of a pink eye infection even on Day 1.  Here he shows off his backpack-pharmacy. 

No one wanted to damage their camera during the ensuing deluge which lasted a constant 4 days save for a 1 hour sunny respite on Day 3.    Here are a few shots which were snuck during short breaks in the rain.    I did enjoy the coast, the rocks, the ocean, and walking along the beach.  The treed sections (unavoidable due to the tides) were painfully slow however and filled with ankle-to-knee-deep mud pits.   I started off as a “Matsch-Vermeider” (mud avoider, another good German girly-man insult), but inevitably stopped caring after stepping around the first few dozen.


Camping on the beach!  Unfortunately the wood was too wet to have a campfire.

Puddles like this one were typical…like every 10 metres!  For anyone looking to buy waterproof hiking boots, based on our combined group experience those with the full-leather boots (including the tongue) fared the best.  Unfortunately I belonged to the 2nd camp which had leather boots with a Gore-Tex tongue which were pretty much soaked through (despite the gators) on Day 2.

Taking a break on a nice long bench big enough for all 6 of us!  Rod is not impressed.

The forecast posted at Carmanah Pt. Lighthouse on Day 4.  Only more rain in sight…

Buoys were always a welcome sight since it meant we had reached camp.

There were lighter moments of course though!   Everyone feels better with a hot meal in their bellies and Leah enjoys a little air-guitar.     

We also passed the time trash-talking one another, where one of our favourites was the face joke.  E.g. Dev:  “I hate these mud pits”, me: “You’re a mud pit”, Dev:  “Your face is a mud pit”.

Day 3 we took a welcome break out of the rain at the Nitinat Narrows ferry crossing.   I had the best baked potato of my life, smothered in butter and accompanied by fresh, BBQ salmon. 
Later that afternoon we were also rewarded with a short 1 hour of blue sky.  We took the opportunity to do silly poses and ham it up.

The thrill of many ladders, cable cars, and bridges in various stages of disrepair. 
\

Getting ready loading into our first cable car

A long way to haul yourself over, but kind of fun too!


I forgot to give photo credits in the last post, but thanks to Kiran and Rod who contributed the vast majority of the West Coast Trail pics!

More adventures and better weather to come in the next post.  Plus I actually change out of that smelly pink shirt which everyone must be sick of by now!

No comments: