Wednesday, October 03, 2007

EUC 2007, Southampton, England

First of all, please excuse me for the extremely long delay in posting…the EUC (European Ultimate Championships) were at the beginning of August, but I guess I’ve just been having too much fun since then to keep this blog updated.

European championships were fun, pretty “angstrengend” (best translation is exhausting) with 11 games in 6 days and 1 hr 15 min warm-up before each game, but a great experience to play at that level. We (the German women’s team) finished 4th out of 14 countries, which was pretty much what we expected, although too bad that we just missed out on a medal. I was just happy to have made the team and have the chance to even be there. We finished behind Finland (1st), Great Britain and Switzerland.

Big group photo with Great Britain after our showcase game against them in the big arena on opening day. I’m hiding in the second row.

Sylvia making a great D.

Pippa being super-schnell.


Unfortunately this is my only appearance in the official tournament photos…shaking hands after the game. Where were they during my layouts ;) ?


The Germans were great fans. We sang waaay more than all the other countries. Here are the guys cheering us on in our game against GB (Great Britain).


Fellow team-mate Margit got into the spirit by even doing her toenails in the national colours.



Before I arrived in Southampton I had a day of sight-seeing in London:

The London Eye. It’s supposed to offer great views of London, but I didn’t feel like paying the 14 pounds to find out.


Parliament buildings. I have to admit, they were more impressive than Canada’s version.


I saw a cool exhibit at the Tate Modern on cities and their sustainability. They compared some of the largest and fastest growing cities in the world including Tokyo, Mexico City, and Mumbai, and had some interesting insights.