Friday, July 06, 2007

Göteborg, Sweden

I recently played a tournament with the German national team in Sweden, one of the rare European tournaments with a women’s division. And yes, for those I haven’t spoken with yet, I’m very excited to have made it past try-outs to represent Germany at the European championships at the beginning of August. I can’t wait to get our jerseys with “Deutschland” across the back.

Since the only cheap flights were in mid-afternoon, I took a day of vacation and actually had a chance to look around Göteborg, a rarity for an ultimate tournament. Göteborg is an old port city with lots of brick, which I found attractive. The harbour area is huge with not only an industrial section, but also Scandinavia’s largest Maritime museum (with lots of rotating radars on boats which caught my eye) and a more touristy section complete with pleasure-boats, floating restaurants and the opera. Göteborg harbour with the nicknamed "lipstick tube" in the background.

My arrival coincided with high school graduation day which involved hundreds of drunks teens with hired drivers riding around in convertibles or rented buses dressed up as sailors.


I think I discovered the bat cave….