Thursday, May 17, 2007

Oslo, Norway

I only had a few hours to enjoy Oslo during a stopover on the way back to Munich from Svalbard, but I made the most of it and got a chance to tour Vigeland Park, a huge park and outdoor gallery of bronze, granite and wrought iron sculptures from Gustav Vigeland, depicting life, death, anger, joy, love and movement.

From the beautiful…

to the bizarre.

The focus of the park is on the 12 m monolith with 121 human figures intertwined in the background.

One of the first days of spring in the park.

I also had a chance to see the Harbour area filled with boats, sculptures, and people sitting around the wharf and on benches reading in the sun.


For those who know about my sign collection, I found another interesting addition. Caution, fat pigeons?


I really liked Oslo and it was one of those rare places I could actually picture myself living. It has a relatively small population of ~600,000, interesting architecture with balconies jutting out, lots of coffee shops and green space.