Monday, January 06, 2014

Wedgemount Lake, BC


Happy new year!  The last five months of 2013 were exciting times for me with multi-day hikes (this one as well as the West Coast Trail) and a trip to India/Nepal.  I’ll try to be brief with my next few entries so that we can get to exotic southern Asia pictures sooner. 

This hike up to the lovely turquoise Wedgemount Lake was one of the tougher ones I’ve done with an elevation gain of 1200+ metres in 7 km.   I set out with Rod and his cousins, who were doing it as a daytrip.    If you do attempt this hike be careful of the numerous ground wasps which got Rod, one cousin and I.  Ouch!

The way up is quite the grind (especially with a heavy pack) and not too spectacular scenery-wise, but you’re rewarded at the top with views of the beautiful glacial-fed lake in the shadow of the massive Wedge mountain, the highest in the Garibaldi mountain range. 


The BC Mountaineering Club has built a great little hut up on Wedge.  It was windier that it looks in the evening and we had to go inside to keep our cooking flame from going out!  The numerous tent platforms are also a godsend (do you see the size of the rocks lying around?). 

Dinner went smoothly although someone forgot to bring the J-cloths for doing dishes and decided to sacrifice his clean underwear instead.

And more lovely views of the surrounding glaciers, wildflowers, and sunset.  

In the middle of winter here in Vancouver I definitely miss this sunshine.

It was tough to leave Wedge, but even tougher on the knees and quads going down the mountain.  The only thing worse than a steep 1200 metres going up is the same 1200 metres going down….  It seriously took me a week for my quads to recover and to do stairs without looking like an elderly lady. 

No comments: