Monday, July 22, 2013

Salt Spring Island


Hope everyone is having a great summer so far!  Unfortunately for the 2nd summer in a row I’ve managed to injure my knee (same thing as last year….retinaculum tear/strain which will probably take a few months to heal although I’m holding out hope for ultimate nationals).   I’m currently doing lots of cycling, squats, and other physio to try and get back to chasing after discs ASAP though.

That’s the bad news.  The good news is that Van has had some amazing weather recently which has been great for beach picnics, disc golf, watching ultimate from the sideline, and general lounging.   As well, Rod and I took the plunge and moved in together to rent a lovely townhouse in central Vancouver. We have a 2nd bedroom and enjoy guests, so let me know if you are coming to town!  No more uncomfortable sofa-bed!

Over Easter Rod and I joined my family on Vancouver Island and took a day trip to Salt Spring Island.  Salt Spring is the largest of the Gulf Islands and easy to get to with a short ferry ride from Crofton. 


Hammin’ it up while waiting for the ferry.

Killing more time by taking a walk around Crofton.  Crofton is definitely a lumber town.  Everything is sponsored by the lumber industry including this “Paper Way”.

Ferry ride to Salt Spring

Salt Spring has a great Saturday market with artisans and food producers of all types.  Sculptors, knitters, jam-makers, painters, farmers, didgeridoo-hypnotists, you name it.   The only rule is that vendors have to “make it, bake it or grow it” themselves.    There were lots of delicious free samples (e.g. small batch lemon and basil infused goat cheese, deluxe chocolates with suggested wine pairings, and how about the yummy spiced carrot chips being handed out by a nice man with homemade Jesus-sandals).   Parking was a bit of a show-de-gong, but once we got out of our car it was fun.   

Unfortunately I was too busy downing the free samples to snap any pics at the market, but here are a few from the island.

Funky-looking moving garden statues which twirl in the wind.

Colourful peeling bark and smooth sides of an Arbutus tree.

That’s it for now.  Will post again soon with hiking pics from Alberta and BC.

No comments: