Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Summer re-cap, Vancouver


After the driest/sunniest/most wonderful September on record  in Vancouver (at least in the last 160 years),  fall and extreme rainfall warnings have returned to the West Coast.  Time to re-cap some fun summer activities while they’re still relatively fresh!

Title photo is from a great BBQ+sunset in the West End.  Could it get any more picturesque?  I would have appreciated it though if our neighbouring-BBQers hadn’t put Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call me maybe” on repeat for OVER AN HOUR, but I guess I shouldn’t whine.

In late June Rod and I headed out to Alberta to visit friends and family in Canmore, Calgary, and Sylvan Lake.    Lots of driving in the span of a few days, but at least they know how to build highways out there which has me smiling.


Only in Alberta would I get stuck behind a pick-up with its own quadruple-life-size gorilla reaching out to crush me.

Fun times with Becky and family at Sylvan Lake.  Despite the rain we enjoyed ice cream every day and were serenaded by precocious guitarists every night.



Canada Day bike ride down to Steveston for the festivities and tasty salmon burgers.  We decided to Skytrain it part way back and then bike out to Jericho Sailing Club for some great views and pints.   I bought a touring bike in May and was so happy to have it after my knee injury.  It’s definitely one of the best ways to get around in Vancouver....except when it pours.
\
Spoils from berry-picking with Hannah.  These made great strawberry coulis, strawberry smoothies and ice cream toppings.  I've still got a bag or two in my freezer to get my strawberry-fix through the winter.

My sis and I on a lovely evening in Vancouver going for a walk after having stuffed ourselves with sushi.

Visit from Becky and Mike in July – we crammed a lot into a few days including a quick look at the impressive blue whale skeleton at the Biodiversity museum at UBC.  Worth a visit if you’re ever out here!  It’s a pretty crazy story of how they dug up a whale in PEI in 2007 which had beached itself in 1987, found all the bones, figured out how to clean them, and then get them into the museum. If you’re brave, you can even take a whiff of what twenty-year-old dead whale smells like. 


I finally did a good chunk of the Baden Powell trail, taking in the views from Grey Rock near Deep Cove and working my way over to the Lynn Valley suspension bridge which is very cool and absolutely free (unlike the ridiculously expensive Capilano Suspension bridge, currently running at $32+tax to cross).  


For late summer and my birthday I went car-camping with friends at Harrison Hot Springs (/Freezing Lake).  Seriously, this is one chilly lake but it was smoking hot and we braved it for a little while.

Trev and Pat doing their best Bo Derek imitations while the rest of us laugh it up.


The weekend was great with good food (car camping is awesome when you’re used to hauling everything up a mountain on your back and doing without), tasty drinks, and guitar sing-alongs.   Campfires were unfortunately banned although one member of our group brought this crazy contraption he called a “Bubba” which was essentially a propane tank with some indestructible insulation glued on top.  Turn it on and it looks like a fire at night, although the insulation is pretty ugly in the daylight.

The Bubba:

The campground was pretty much what you’d expect from most urban car camping experiences; your tent is two feet from your neighbours who are inevitably on the opposite schedule as you with kids up and screaming waaaaay too early and Grandpa swearing like a sailor trying to retract the awning back into the RV and pack up by 7 am.  But what we didn’t expect were the hordes of Muscovy ducks who lived there.  They were kind of creepy and would hang around the washrooms, sleeping right in the middle of the path and look at you with half slit eyes in the middle of the night and red cancerous growths on their faces.  Although I guess they’re kind of cute during the day.


That’s it for now, but stay tuned for highlights from the 3 weddings I went to this summer. 










No comments: