This summer I had a chance to go a huge knights' tournament near the little town of Kaltenberg. For a few weekends a year, they create an entire medieval town complete with bakers, brewers, ladies in waiting, camels, blacksmiths and of course knights. The entire morning you wander around taking-in the sites, perhaps eating some gruel in a bread bowl, perusing the shops and listening to the local town council. The highlight of the day is the knights’ jousting tournament in the late afternoon which includes a good-vs-evil knights’ story for the kids. There are always a few Goths in the audience who cheer on the black knight and make the kids nervous. (The little girl next to me was almost in tears when the black knight won the first few bouts and made me promise that I still supported the good guy). Thanks to Ema for some of the photos!
Grim Bavarian knights
Ema the barbarian with her bread swordDon’t forget the tar-and-feathering for public humiliation. They started by tickling this guy’s feet, but the poor volunteer ended up with sticky feet and a feather beard.
I have no idea who these guys are supposed to be but they sure are ugly.
Knight posing with an executioner.
Medieval wares
At the Kaltenberg castle they have an operational brewery making a dark wheat beer all year round. We did the tour and it’s delicious stuff. This guy’s official title is actually “Bräumeister“ (Brewmaster, how cool is that) and I think he wears his lederhose every day.
Getting warmed up for the show with “the wave” (yes, it exists in Germany too)
The Bad Dude.
Evil beasts from hell….or whatever they were called. The P.A. system was kind of scratchy.
Good vs evil showdown:
Alright, I won’t leave you hanging….the good guy won :) But who knows what might happen next year?



