Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Hez and Kristin do Munich

Just before Easter Hez and Kristin came for a short but sweet visit to Munich. I really appreciated them making the detour on their way to Italy to come see me. We pretty much had one day together and I thought the best way to say welcome to Munich was with a traditional Weißwurst Frühstück. (All photo credits go to Hez and Kristin on this one, except the one I took of them :). A Weißwurst Frühstück consists of a weißbier (wheat beer), a few Brezen (soft pretzels) and Bavaria’s speciality: boiled white sausage. It’s supposedly to best way to cure a hangover. Or give you one…

One of the trickiest things is figuring out how to eat the slippery Weißwurst. If you’re lowbrow you cut off the end and suck the sausage out of its casing. The slightly more elegant method is to split it lengthwise. Luckily for Hez I don’t have any embarrassing photos of her wrestling with her Weißwurst.

Enjoying the sunshine in the Biergarten for breakfast:

After the hearty Bavarian breakfast we took a walk around downtown Munich. I’ll keep Hez’s original caption for this one: “the results of beer for breakfast”:

We also made it to the Englisher Garten where, believe it or not, you can hang-ten in Munich. At some point the authorities built a standing wave which surfers flock to year round. Hez thought it was pretty hilarious though that they had sign saying that surfing is strictly “verboten” (forbidden). A new twist on someone smoking next to a non-smoking sign: