Friday, July 25, 2008

Madrid: Glaciology Conference

Does anyone else see the humour in the above subject line? Yes well, even glaciologists with a passion for Antarctica deserve a conference in Spain once a while don’t they? I learned a lot about ice and ground penetrating radar, had seemingly neverending delicious tapas, and unfortunately was on the receiving end of the amazingly adept thieves they have in Madrid. The conference was a success but on my way back to the Madrid airport in the metro my purse with money, bank/credit cards and passport was stolen. Thank goodness I had a copy of my passport on me so that they let me on the plane, but it has been a huge hassle and huge expense getting everything replaced. I think it’s impossible to be vigilant 100% of the time (these guys are professionals), but I’ve learned my lesson on keeping everything together in one spot. Please learn from my mistakes! Hopefully it won’t cost you a vacation in Portugal like it did for me since no passport = no travel.

But enough dwelling on the negative; fortunately my stuff was stolen at the very end of my week in Madrid and I had a little time to enjoy the city. I arrived on a Sunday morning and had most of the day to go wandering around: I wanted to see the famous Prada museum, but this line-up convinced me otherwise:


Instead I went off to see the huge public park directly behind the museum which was pretty lively on a Sunday afternoon:


I noticed a curious phenomenon in my wanderings; Madrid parents seem to have a penchant for dressing their children identically. This is only one of about a dozen examples I saw and that I managed to capture on film. Even the Mom is into pink…

This was by far the best conference I’ve ever been to when it comes to the social program. Wednesday we only had a half-day until 1 pm and then took off for a day-trip to Toledo, a quaint little city with well-preserved old city walls, a cathedral and multiple historical synagogues:

The conference also had a fabulous banquet one evening where they drove us way out of town to a hacienda (ranch). Unfortunately I was too busy snapping tapas off of the plates the waiters came by with to take any pictures of the food, but the tapas and main course paella were delicious. They even make their own (very strong) brandy which they store in bottles inlaid into the ceiling of the wine cellar (I didn’t really get a good explanation of why). In addition to the food there was an impressive Arabian horse show, with the horses displaying some amazing crossing-over footwork. If that weren’t enough after the meal there was professional flamenco dancing and Spanish guitar. Olé!