Sunday, October 22, 2006

Oktoberfest, Munich

Dev (my brother) came for a visit to Munich during Oktoberfest and to play a hat tournament they have here every year. Last year I was completely out of it, having just arrived in Germany, but this year I got the full experience! Some points of interest:
  • Oktoberfest runs for three weeks in September
  • The beer “tents” are actually huge buildings (albeit temporary)
  • No one in Munich calls it Oktoberfest. People say they’re going “auf die Wies’n” (literally means a grassy field, although any grass that was on the original site is long since dead after almost 200 years of partying [the first Oktoberfest was the king's wedding reception held in 1810])
  • Only tourists go to Oktoberfest dressed normally. Real Müncheners wear the traditional "tracht" consisting of a dirndl for women and lederhosen for men. I found out that the equivalent of stuffing one's bra for men in Bavaria is adding inserts to make calves look more muscular. It's all in German, but check out the enhancements for sale at WadlWadl

Yusi (an amazing American ulti player) and I showing off our modest dirndls.


How the servers manage to keep to a smile on their faces is beyond me.

To prove that he was there, Dev hamming it up, although unfortunately all you can see of Frank is the upper half of his lederhosen.