Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Summer in Munich

Hallo everyone. It’s been awhile since my last update, but I’ve had no exciting adventures in foreign countries to report. I recently had some good news though; the German government decided to extend my scholarship for another 12 months. I almost had a heart attack though when I saw the first line of the email [translated]: "Dear Ms. Sharma, We are very sorry...... that it took us so long to get back to you".

Having gotten the scholarship, I then had to go through the rigmarole of renewing my Aufenthaltserlaubnistitel (residency permit title), made more complicated by the fact that whoever registered me originally made a mistake and entered me as a man. I know my German was poor in October but was it really that bad?

But despite the bureaucracy Munich is a wonderful place in the summer thanks to Biergartens. These are wonderful, shaded outdoor pubs where you can bring your own food if you don’t fancy pigs knuckles and other pork products and where you can often only buy beer by the litre. I think this concept should be exported to North America.

Friends Alexia and Marianne enjoying the relaxed Munich Biergarten atmosphere: